Our sensory room is a special room designed to develop people’s sensory experience, using lighting, music, smells and textures. It can be used as a therapy for children with specific needs.
“Sensory Room” is an umbrella term used to categorize a broad variety of therapeutic spaces specifically designed and utilized to promote self-development and positive change.
Sensory equipment can help develop key life skills including vocalization, gross motor skills, colour recognition and tracking. Examples include sensory rooms, sensory pools, sensory bathrooms and sensory gardens.
They are also sometimes called “multi sensory room”, “white room”, or “quiet room”.
When used appropriately, sensory rooms:
- Help to create a safe space
- Facilitate the therapeutic alliance
- Provide opportunities to teach skills as well as offering a variety of therapeutic activities
- Promote self-care/self-nurturance, resilience & recovery
- Multi-sensory equipment is a fantastic resource to promote learning through play